Can I install the Scout outdoors?
- The Scout is designed for indoor use. It can be installed in crawlspaces, garages, sheds, and outdoor enclosures, or in a location where it is shielded from precipitation, condensation, or direct sunlight.
- The Scout should not be installed outdoors, or in a location where it is exposed to precipitation, condensation, or direct sunlight.
How can I maximize chances of detecting a leak?
- In order to detect water, the Scout must be placed in a position that it is likely to come in contact with water from leaks.
- Place the Scout in low points that water is likely to drain toward
- Do NOT place the Scout in elevated locations unless it is being used in conjunction with an optional Rope Sensor or Point Of Leak Sensor
- Extend Rope Sensors to maximize the area of leak detection under or around sinks, appliances or fixtures
- Place and secure Point Of Leak Sensors at a low point in close proximity to the appliance or fixture being monitored
For Plumbing Leaks
We recommend placing the Scout near appliances and fixtures that may experience plumbing leaks including:
- water heaters, washing machines, icemakers, dishwashers, under sinks, near water softeners and filters, bathrooms.
- if you have a StreamLabs Control installed in the same Location in your StreamLabs App, leaks detected by the Scout will automatically alert the Control to shut off water.
For non-Plumbing Leaks
We recommended placing the Scout near systems and in areas that may be prone to non-plumbing leaks including:
- Air conditioning condensate pans, near sump pumps, below-grade pump-outs, near lower lever exterior entries that may see weather-related flooding
- In these cases, if you have a StreamLabs Control installed in the same Location in your StreamLabs App, you can disable auto-shutoff of the Control by going to Alert Settings for the Scout.
For Freeze Alerts
We recommend placing the Scout in areas where exposed pipes may be subject to occasional freezing temperatures, including:
- crawl spaces